Stable Hand / Trail Guide Positions Available
Dead Broke Farm is a working horse farm that is open to the public. We have an average of 50 to 60 horses, and we need help feeding, caring for them, and taking rides out. We offer daily trail rides, pony rides, birthday parties, summer camp, and Hindu Indian Weddings.
- Must be a proficient rider!
- Possess a friendly attitude toward our animals, coworkers, and customers.
- Have a passion for taking care of horses.
- Must be reliable and punctual.
- Must be at least 18 years old with reliable transportation.
Tasks To Be Performed
- Feeding, watering, grooming, tacking/untacking, and bathing horses
- Mending fences, clearing brush, rocks, and limbs from our trails and pastures
- Greeting customers, giving riding demonstrations, taking out trail rides
- Other regular barn and tack maintenance
Pay is a base pay plus tips. There are 3 tiers of base pay:
- Trail Guide
- Team Lead
- Barn Manager
Tips are pooled and can be substantial. Guides receive tips directly from customers, and we charge an automatic gratuity for birthday parties and groups of 6 or more riders.
Given the risks and potential liability associated with taking novice riders horseback riding, we require that anyone interested in a paid position try out for the job by volunteering for a half day at our farm (8am-2pm). The working interview allows us to see how well you ride, how much experience you have with handling and caring for horses, and to see your interpersonal skills when dealing with the public and novice riders. In return, it allows you to meet our staff and volunteers, see our trails and how we operate, and the condition of our horses. If you have the necessary experience, and you feel this is a farm where you would enjoy working, we'd offer you a paid position. We have part time and full time positions available. If you're interested, please email us with a details of your relevant work experience and let us know when you are available to try out.
If this post interests you but you don't think you have the necessary qualifications, please check out our Volunteer Program on our website! We have hired many volunteers once they became knowledgable, proficient riders.
How To Apply
- Text Carla at (919) 323-1265 with specifics of how you can be an asset to our farm